Emergency / Natural Disaster
When hurricanes, flooding or a sudden outbreak of mosquito borne diseases occur, the rapid response of a safe and proven emergency program becomes essential.
Since our work responding to the first U.S. outbreak of West Nile Virus in 1999, our Emergency Response program has built a proven record that soars above the rest. It’s why federal, state and local governments have repeatedly relied on Clarke to jump into action following a natural disaster or disease outbreak.
Following the 2017 Hurricanes Harvey and Irma in the U.S., Clarke was called upon to treat nearly 4 million acres across Texas and Florida to enable first responder work and protect public health.
Guarding the Health of Millions of Citizens
When we're needed, we're there.
- 2002 The City of Chicago experiences a major West Nile Virus outbreak and Clarke provides emergency ground response to control populations and mitigate further disease spread. We respond again for Chicago on West Nile outbreaks in 2003 and 2007.
- 2003 South Dakota suffers an outbreak of West Nile Virus. Within just four days of being contacted, Clarke began treating 110,000 acre to protect public health.
- 2004 FEMA contracts with Clarke to treat over 4 million acres in Florida due to the hurricanes.
- 2005 Clarke provides aerial ULV applications for mosquito and fly control to over 3 million acres in Florida, Alabama, Mississippi and Louisiana after Hurricanes Katrina and Rita, and delivers a ground-based emergency response program for a West Nile outbreak in Maricopa County (Arizona).
- 2006 More than 500,000 acres in Massachusetts are treated in just two evenings after the governor declares a state of emergency due to Eastern Equine Encephalitis.
- 2012 Clarke is called into action and responds to the Texas West Nile Virus outbreak in just four days.
- 2016 Clarke answers the call to respond to the U.S. Zika outbreak in Miami-Dade County and works for more than 12 weeks with the Miami-Dade Mosquito Control Department to perform over 250,000 door-to-door inspections, support resident education and public relations, and complete ground and aerial control treatments to eradicate local transmissions of Zika.
- 2017 Hurricanes Harvey and Irma hit Texas and Florida within weeks of each other. Clarke responds within days to both disaster zones with teams, supplies and equipment, and delivers treatment in September to both states totalling nearly 4 million acres. Clarke is also on the ground in Brownsville, Texas for over six weeks, supporting the high-risk community with a robust Zika prevention program to protect public health.
- 2018 Clarke mobilizes a team to North Carolina in the aftermath of Hurricane Florence to perform ground ULV treatments and provide critical product and equipment to affected counties.
We're here to help. Send us a message or use our ‘Find a Rep’ tool to find a representative in your area to discuss contingency planning options.