Our Third Sustainability Award
Sustainabilty In The Fabric of Clarke
What began as an aspiration in late 2008 "to do everything thru the lens of sustainability" is now reality at Clarke. Proof of that came in November 2016 as Clarke received its third Illinois Governor's Sustainability Award.
The Illinois Sustainable Technology Center (ISTC) and the Office of the Governor honored 25 Illinois companies and organizations for their significant achievements in energy efficiency, waste reduction,pollution prevention and environmental programming. Since 1987, the Illinois Sustainable Technology Center, a division of the Prairie Research Institute at the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, has presented Governor’s Awards to organizations in Illinois that have demonstrated a commitment to environmental excellence through outstanding and innovative sustainability practices.
Six Major Initiatives
The honor received was based on initiative progress in six areas in 2015. They include:
- On-site renewable energy - Completion of installation of 280 rooftop solar panels, 20 exterior facade awning solar panels, and a 48-panel carport charging station.
- Carbon reduction - Completion of our 8-vehicle electric car charging station
- Energy efficiency - Efforts at all Illinois locations reduced electrical consumption by 28.4%, natural gas by 35.6%; equating to a carbon emissions reduction of 113 metric tonnes.
- Global reporting initiative - Completed our first stakeholder materiality survey with 196 internal and 132 external stakeholders. They assessed importance to them and to Clarke across six categories - Products & services, financial, human resources, social responsibility, environmental and governance.
- Community involvement - 3,717 hours of paid in-community volunteer time.
- Philanthropy - Awarding of $161,000 to 7 non-profit organizations around the world focused on the preservation or renewal of our natural resources, food production quality or humanitarian endeavors.
The 2016 Honorees
- Abbott Laboratories - Abbott Park
- AbbVie – North Chicago
- Andersonville Sustainable Community Alliance – Chicago
- Argonne National Laboratory – Lemont
- CDW – Vernon Hills
- City of Geneseo – Geneseo
- City of Naperville – Naperville
- The Clarke Group, Inc. – St. Charles
- ComEd – Oakbrook Terrace
- Earth Friendly Products – Addison
- The Field Museum – Chicago
- The Forest Preserve District of Cook County – River Forest
- Golden State Foods Chicago – McCook
- Griffith Foods – Alsip
- Lewis & Clark Community College – Godfrey
- Manchester Tank & Equipment Co. – Quincy
- Marathon Petroleum Company LP, Illinois Refining Division – Robinson
- Midwest Energy Efficiency Alliance – Chicago
- Peoria County Government – Peoria
- PortionPac Chemical Corporation – Chicago
- Quaker Foods North America, a division of PepsiCo – Bridgeview
- Rockford Park District – Rockford
- Roscoe – Chicago
- United Airlines – Chicago
- The University of Illinois at Chicago – Chicago